Sports psychology presents a special field in the counseling profession. It covers aspects of performance enhancing strategies, recovery and much more. Being an athlete is accompanied by unique psychological challenges, which others possibly never experience. Struggles an athlete may endure are:
- high pressure situations in which quick decision making is required,
- balancing various relationships and life issues besides having to stay on top of practice and tournament schedules,
- ongoing high level competition and performance requirements,
- following a certain food and exercise routine that at times can become quite repetitive,
- special psychological pressures when being sidelined or not chosen for the first team,
- experiencing injuries which could mean an end of the sports career or a set back of goals, possible problems with team mates or coaches,
- burnout and loss of motivation when results are disappointing,
- or a loss of identity and grieving after the athletic retirement.
Whatever reason has led you to seek therapy and counseling, I understand. Having been a professional athlete myself I have experienced many of these described issues and more. Now, I am following my passion in helping upcoming, seasoned and retired athletes overcome these and other struggles by offering mental health counseling. My goal is to show you alternatives, normalize your experiences and maybe even educate and practice with you skills that can lead to new outcomes. Contact me today to get started.
Let Kathrin Winkler Therapy, LLC help you reach your "best self".
Located in Costa Mesa, CA